Safkhet Publishing ~ Summer Reads

Thursday 12 January 2012

Goodreads Review ~ Faerytale

FaerytaleFaerytale by Rachael Fuller

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

As a small child, I remember not being very impressed when the only book left on the shelf of our little primary school library was a fairy tale book. Ugh, not for me - a tomboy, and precocious obviously! Leafing moodily through the pages of Grimm's Fairy Tales, I reluctantly began to read, and my eyes grew wide with pleasure and surprise. I was engrossed, totally absorbed, mesmerised. Rachael Fuller's Faerytale, told in the truer, darker style of the Brothers Grimm, whisked me back to that childhood, spellbound behind the bookshelves, absorbed in the classical telling of mystical tales. No sugar-coated fairies here, oh, no. They're more like naughty little imps. Told in magical narrative rhyme, this is the story of Lucy - far too old to believe in wood nymphs, dragons and fairies, who is forced to follow her little sister down a rabbit hole, find her and bring her safely back home before the skies fade to black. Faerytale is traditional fairy-storytelling at its best - and you don't have to be a child to enjoy it.

My only regret is that I didn't buy extra copies for nieces and nephews. Two I have in mind I know will adore it. It's free at the moment on Amazon Kindle, but the cover is so beautifully illustrated, I'm going for hard copies. I did! And they do!


View all my reviews

No comments: